Tuesday, February 13, 2007

V 2.0 Desktop Panel Considerations

Based on the limited space available and an upcoming move, I have decided to make this setup as small and portable as possible. Basically just a monitor and a keyboard.Then I changed my mind and decided to make it a little bigger, adding one more bay for radio modules which I might purchase eventually.
I started buying the hardware, Aluminum angles and brackets. I realized that in order to make the frame of the setup strong enough to comfortably support the monitor, I needed some beefing. I gutted an old computer and kept only the outer frame, which turned out to have the exact dimensions needed to enclose the 12” monitor which would be the MIP. It also has a lot of holes ideally suited for mounting components inside and outside.
Then I thought, why not eliminate the outer frame completely… so the original idea of using a keyboard for all the needed buttons resurfaced.
And this is where we are right now…I admit this is the simple way out, but it would take less time and I don’t have much of that. The monitor will be inside the enclosure, the keyboard on the right, and a removable panel will cover the whole thing to make it look like a GA instrument panel.

No comments: